To date, over 900 EHR applications have been certified through an ONC-Authorized Testing and Certification Body (ATCB). While this has added a plethora of choices for physicians in terms of which to choose and how to attain meaningful use, given the tight deadlines and limited timeframe, the high number of vendors and technology options can prove to create more challenges and added layers of complexity for many health care organizations still working to identify the best-fit solution for their needs.
For many products in the EHR market today, there are actually only subtle differences in terms of their capabilities and functionality. But at times, these are the exact features that can be the key to a successful implementation of the EHR, or not. One could almost apply the Pareto principle here, or the 80-20 rule, where approximately 20% of the features possess the key differentiators and and critical success functions, while the remaining 80% comprise the common features found in most EHR systems.
Some areas of consideration that have spurred conversations among decision makers regarding EHR package evaluation are:
- How effective would some of the products be when interacting with HIEs?
- How are the different EHR solutions going to take ACO models?
- What are some of the different mobile capabilities would be available?
As we’ve been privy to watching unfold, technology has been playing an increasingly important role in the effective, efficient delivery of health care, and continues to present opportunities for innovation and offer a measurable value to both physicians and patients. From utilizing an HIE for better coordinated care to adopting mobile technology and integrating mHealth devices for the viewing of radiology images, lab results or e-prescribing, we are going to continue to see adoption of tools that will not only prove to drive down costs, but also improve the overall quality of care.
If you enjoyed this article, make sure you subscribe to the Healthcare IT Insider RSS feed!